Liege in Belgium is the next place that should be on your city travel list. This Belgium city has some beautiful areas and delicious restaurants to try, as well as it being an amazing place for architecture photography. This once industrial city has some amazing shopping boutiques and thrift stores too for those who love a bit of shopping. So read on to see more about Liege and why you should make a day trip to this Belgium city!
Where is Liege?
Liege is located in the French-speaking Wallonia region of Belgium. Liege is a Belgium city along the Meuse River.
How to get there?
The easiest way to visit Liege is by car by driving south from Maastricht, which takes only 20-30 minute drive. Otherwise you can take one of the blue Arriva trains leaving from Maastricht train station, the train only takes 33 minutes without any delays, so it’s easily doable with a day trip or a short visit!
Top Tip: If you love architecture, check out the Liège-Guillemins railway station. Its a beautiful design and sleek white lines its an arch-lovers photo paradise. Head there when the sun is rising or setting, as you can get beautiful shadow lines too!
What is so special about Liege?
The history of Liege has been connected to industry as far back as the 12th century, when coal mining fuelled the economy. When the 19th-century Industrial Revolution swept through Europe, Liege turned to steel, becoming Europe’s largest steel making centre. The city’s rebellious inclinations resurfaced during this era, as steel workers went on a widespread strike for better working conditions that required several thousand Belgian troops to restore order.
Things to do in Liege
Some of the top things to see and do here are the following:
- For those that like transport, visit the Wallonia Public Transport Museum
- Climb the Montagne de Bueren (psst its 374 stairs!) where you can see Liege with some panoramic views too!
- Check out some weapons at the Arms Museum with around 11,000 objects
- Explore the Liege-Guillemins Station for photography! Like mentioned above, its a beautiful modern station that all architecture fans should visit
- See the historical roman villa foundations and learn more about the history of Liege at the Archeoforum of Liege
- Go shopping with more than 100 shops at the Médiacité (perfect for the rainy days as it’s inside!)
- Enjoy a museum visit at the Musee Des Beaux Arts de Liege
- Eat a Belgium waffle (yum!)
- Feel royal visiting the former palace of Prince-Bishops
- Visit on Sunday for the La Batte Sunday Market along the river front
More things to do and see in detail can be found here!
Looking for more inspiration about the Belgium? Check our other posts here: